Thursday, October 9, 2014

Extreme sports

Exteme sports seem to be all the rage these days.  Persons wanting to experience that fear, and exhilaration that comes from bungee jumping off bridges, skiing down black diamond ski trails, you know, those shows are all over TV, oh, and internet.  And it got me to thinking...
This past Monday, I made Roger go with me to the Dollar General store over in Praire Creek.  (I love that little store, using backroads, I do not have to drive anywhere near town).  So, thus, it was going for distilled water for the oxygen machine.  When pulling out of the parking lot, Roger suggests we go over to Tony C's and split a beer.  I think I must have stopped breathing for a second there...  So, thus, it was, heading to Tony C's.  Upon sitting down at the bar and ordering a beer to split, a gentleman sitting on the other side of the bar, paid for our beer and ordered us another.  So, thus, it was Roger and I having a beer, two beers, one each.  Sitting there drinking our beer, there is old country music playing on the juke box (or whatever they call those music machines these days, it didn't look like a juke box, but if you are old enough to remember those old juke boxes, you get the gist.)  So, thus, it was, Roger asked me to dance.  and there we were dancing to I don't know what tune.   So thus, it was Roger and Pat dancing in the bar at 2 in the afternoon.
And when I got home, it got me to thinking about that rush of feelings that occur when the unexpected happens.  Was my exhilaration any less than the bungee jumper.  Maybe less fearful, but measured in heart beats and that rush of adrenaline, perhaps not.   Such is the life when you are caregiving.  It is stressful to be sure.  But in those simple moments when something unexpected happens, it is no less worthy of the rush of feeling.  When Phyliss delivers a lemon meringue pie, Ike plows the driveway, Becky delivers lunch, Kittena sends BBQ, Ronny plays poker, Gary shares his testimony, any of the neighbors stop by with this, that or just to talk.  We here are surrounded by wonderful people.  For the moment, these are the exhilarating experiences that bring that rush of feelings, feelings of being loved and cared for...
So, do I miss that rush of travelling down a hill in Nebraska at 45 mph on a bicycle?  Sure, only did that a couple of times, but it IS quite a rush.  
But the rush of love and care are no less extreme!
Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment